Professional Business Systems to Power Micro-Moments
Jon Marsella, It’s 3:42am and those seductive baby-blue-hues are irradiating my eyeballs with cancer beams again. I awoke suddenly and couldn’t resist reaching across my night-table for my iPhone to indulge in another squinty-eyed search-powered info-snack. ( Should I be getting some sleep instead ?! ) It can start with a flash of media from Netflix on a cold driserable November day. Maybe it was induced by a smell or sound that teased a distant memory. Often it’s tangent driven, such as whether or not driserable is an official Oxford Dictionary word [which it isn’t btw] and so now I’m fully compelled to know the answer, immediately. And there it is again. Regardless of the initiating stimulus I’m just about to have what Google has officially termed a: micro-moment. A micro-moment usually plays itself out on a mobile device and is driven by the need to know something or do something… right here, right now, in the moment. They are not always rife with intent, often they are a knee-jerk assault on the pocket and they can happen 100’s of times per day apparently. Micro-moments for Retailers Micro-moments present opportunities for retailers to connect with consumers personally and meet their immediate needs but they do not always lead to a purchase, nor do they promise to result in any consumer engagement at all. For our purposes let’s narrow down on consumer micro-moments that are action rich and intent driven; those that lead to a mobile search on a smartphone or tablet specifically. A search that yields a result with details about your product or service that’s of interest to your ideal prospective customer. While powerful and responsive content speed-to-market systems and SEO/SEM refinement tool-sets are vitally important to helping consumers get to the content that sparked their micro-moment in the first place, let’s instead focus on the importance of handling the moment and communicating intelligently with consumers right now, in real-time, while they are still having their moment. Google calls these I-WANNA-TALK-TO-A-HUMAN micro-moments. How can you build legendary trust with consumers by showing them you care about their needs and stand behind your brand and really meet them in their moment? Answer: connect with them on a deep personal level, help and educate them, follow up with them several times (building confidence each time) and then ultimately move to land the sale. When I have a micro-moment and come across a product that looks enticing, sometimes I might be in the mood for dialog with a live support rep to tell me more about it. If so, suppose I were to launch a live-chat window or call the store directly… would I really get someone on the line who’s impartial and friendly or will they be totally see-through and selfish (hopped up on Red Bulls) trying to aggressively (and impatiently) push a transaction through? Will they really have relevant info on the product or service I’m interested in? I crave something real or grassroots, but I especially want to know it wasn’t planted there mindlessly by ACME Corporation and I don’t want another lifeless made-in-the-marketing-department scripted live call center experience to be sure. Who enjoys being put on hold, dropped off the call, and then having to start all over again with another lousy disengaged droid bot? There are far too many untrained and just plain miserable customer support staff answering your company telephones, chewing away at your brand trust, putting off customers with poor quality interaction. Authenticity is what I’m after. Give me something inherently wise or insightful. Give me dialog that’s real and pleasant! Meeting the Customer In Their Moment What kind of problem might someone have that spawns a micro-moment that could directly relate to a solution your product or service can provide? Consider an example published by Google with insight into how Red Roof Inn was able to anticipate and respond to just such a micro-moment: (slightly paraphrased with emphasis)
“Recently, Red Roof Inn realized that flight cancellations were leaving 90,000 passengers stranded every day, their marketing team developed a way to track flight delays in real time and trigger targeted search ads for the Red Roof Inns near airports. [emphasis mine] Ads that said, in essence, “Stranded at the airport? Come stay with us!” They committed to those I-need-a-hotel-ASAP moments and delivered with relevance on what people needed. The result: a remarkable 60% increase in bookings across non-branded search campaigns.”Source: https://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/articles/win-every-micromoment-with-better-mobile-strategy.html Note how the marketing team developed a way to do this… not the IT department. What kind of tools/systems were the marketers empowered with to do this? Was the solution capable of mitigating high volumes of concurrent user and search traffic of desperate displaced travelers a consideration in the architecture? Were intelligent live-support-agents (and enough of them) empowered to actually help customers through this moment in real time especially for those older consumers who may not be savvy enough to book through their mobile device? Less systems oriented and more philosophically, consider this: did they opt to gouge customers who were already annoyed at flight delays, or did they wisely offer them sincerity, condolences, and connect with their need personally and further provide a nice discount for their stay (or maybe other sweet perks) building SO MUCH GOODWILL and RARE SOCIAL PROPS it would shock-and-awe the customer into long term loyalty for the brand that $$$ can’t buy. Professional Systems to Power Micro-Moments Let’s meet our target customer in their desire for one-on-one hand-holding and manage the micro-moment through real time quality human dialog. Old fashioned phone conversations (remember those?) are the obvious means to do this. And yes, of course we include all of our favorite modern communication mediums as well (i.e. live chat, texting, Facebook messaging, WhatsApp, email, tweeting or other social media exchange). By offering the consumer a number of ways to engage with us, we now need to turn our attention to employing a solid back-office solution that can handle consumer inquiries quickly no matter what the inbound medium! To accomplish this, ALL departments need to be empowered with a centralized solution to curate content, quickly plan and assemble search campaigns, and address large volumes of resultant sales and support inquiries such as Red Roof did. What You’ll Need First – The Intangible Soft and Squishy Stuff All systems involve inputs and outputs. If the input is terrible, you can guess what that will mean for the output. The most absurdly obvious input of greatest importance to any system (and it will be redundant and pedantic to the learned reader yet is always so underachieved and ignored by retailers in my experience) are quality staff engaged at every step of the way in the consumer journey. To summarize, professional systems that power micro-moments first require:
- Quality people power. Employ world-class human resources. World-class defined = people who are intelligent, skillful, and talented – but also patient, graceful, humble and show good heart quality. These things convey trustworthiness and generate loyalty by the pound for your brand. Mission possible! (It just takes the intent to do it, which is itself the hard part btw).
- Highly connected and communicative internal office culture. This is much easier said than done, but itself is the holy-grail-secret-sauce to handling micro-moments. Do this and you’ll solve a whole world of other internal corporate issues as well. To truly succeed here though, you’ll also need systems and internal process and pipeline reworks.
- Awesome strategic partners and suppliers. In order to meet your consumers’ micro-moments in real-time you’ll need a large external network of curators and subject matter experts that can be called upon to contribute to actually helping consumers, not just to sell them something.
- Buy-in from your upstream and sibling-stream (i.e. managers, owner/operator(s), C-Suite). You might have to fight here proving to your leadership that you need such a solution in the first place. Be prepared to promise them that if they invest in these systems (and apply the quality staff and financial resources & the partner network) required to meet consumer micro-moments before the competition does, it will generate impressive ROI scenarios. We’ve seen as much as 4x top line revenue increases for clients that adopted a new 360° synergistic back office solution, but consider average KPIs being 23-28% sales growth and 15-18% reduction in labor costs.
- High Availability World Class CRM (Salesforce) /w Live Chat Integration (either Salesforce or LivePerson)
- SMS and IVR Telefony Integration (SMS Magic) or (HeyWire.com) and NewVoiceMedia
- Fully Integrated PIM (product information management system) – Jasper PCS (for large SMBs) or for midmarket/enterprise consider our powerful partner solution: (InRiver PIM)
- DAM (digital asset management system); (InRiver PIM)
- Shopping Cart Platform: (Magento Enterprise, BigCommerce Enterprise, Demandware)
- Quick and powerful faceted search integration with commerce platform AND the back-office. (SearchSpring)
- Outfit your call center with IVR / SMS integration with a CRM, integrated to a PIM/DAM.
- As micro-moments trigger inbound leads (via text, phone, email, gated form entries, etc.) the CRM routing solution attempts to make contextual sense of the request. Inbound phone number or email (if on file as existing customer) triggers possible quote/order/customer call-up in CRM/commerce platform, include a photo of the user (if possible). If customer is not on file, attempt a real time social media lookup (public domain info only of course!) to try to qualify, identify and profile them.
- Dialog is transferred to knowledge agent internally – QUICKLY! Don’t have anyone on staff with the know how to handle this customer? Let the handling agent connect to other suppliers/partners via Salesforce and pass the handling off to another within your network. This is incredibly powerful! Can’t route them to someone right now? Let the customer know that you care enough to have someone AWESOME follow up later. Flag it in the CRM and get on the follow through ASAP.
- Need some help? Awesome, happy to. What can I tell you about our product or company?
- Want more info? Let me connect you to an expert. ( Have any rockstar product ambassadors? Other happy customers that bought your product before? How awesome would that be, right!? Get them on speed dial/text/email to help your organization build confidence and then sell social-proof style! )
- Thinking of buying something, but, maybe later? I’ll quickly take your details and setup a code to give you and you can text-us-later to buy instantly.
- Ok, ready to buy now? Perfect. I can place this order immediately and ship it to you in 1-2 days! Further, repeat orders will get a discount I’ll give you a text-to-buy hotlink to make that easy for you. Send the link to a friend and we’ll give you a referral discount!
- Not ready right now? How about I just set a reminder to follow up with you later online?